Thursday, November 17, 2011

Final Novel Stages

I have been busily working with my editor and the layout person for my novel. After receiving the marked up copy of the manuscript, I carefully went through each area which needed work, made changes where appropriate, and then did a complete read of the manuscript.

Even after I had proofed it and the editor had, I still found a couple of words that were wrong. My editor has been amazing, making the book better, and even letting me know he should have caught the words, but grateful that I had. The manuscript was sent back to him, with my corrections, then it went off to layout. She has been a joy to work with, as well. Both of them have commented on how much they enjoyed the manuscript, and both asked if I had planned to continue the story, in a series.

And, as I have noted here, this novel, The Wrath of Amun, is the first in a series of historical mysteries set in ancient Egypt. Having two people read the novel and comment favourably on it is so gratifying and humbling. As writers, we want to have our work recognised for its voice, its characters, its story. Getting the feedback I did on this first novel has only made me more confident in my writing.

Now, I wait for publication. The end of a wonderful journey, but the beginning of the next. My characters are anxious to continue their stories, and I, as their voice, must bring it forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment