Sunday, May 29, 2011

Networking 101

Though I am a published author, I also do other writing-related jobs. I freelance as a proof reader and copyeditor, and I am always on the look-out for people to network with. You never know who you could meet, or where it could lead.

I have been travelling this past week on the East coast and had the pleasure to meet a man on the train from Providence to Washington, DC. We got to talking and one thing led to another. He told me of the book he is writing, what he envisions for it, and how he is looking for someone, a professional, to make his work sing. I have offered him my services, and we hope to finalize a deal sometime next week.

At the wedding I was privileged to be a part of, I spoke with many people about my chosen profession. I now have several business cards and the possibility of more work, in different media, since many of the people at the wedding are involved in music, theatre, and art.

Creative endeavours cross many lines, blurring, blending, and making life interesting. So, for writers everywhere, never be reticent about what you do. We so often work in solitude, we sometimes forget that what we do is exciting, rewarding, and may be just what someone else is in need of. Be proud of what you do -- you never know where your next job may appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment