Sunday, May 1, 2011

Technology and Writing

When I wrote my first manuscript, in 2003, I did not even own a computer. I wrote everything on yellow legal pads and it was all good. I've had desktops and laptops since then, and I have a netbook. But, no matter how hard I try, and how careful I am, I am not immune to viruses.

One hit me earlier this week and it has definitely made me pause. I have not embraced technology as some have, and rely on my netbook only for internet access. I don't have a fancy phone for email and web browsing, I don't even know how to text.

This week has taught me a very valuable lesson. I will now make sure I have a backup form of internet access. A netbook, for all the convenience and ease it has afforded me, is in reality nothing more than a large paperweight if it does not work properly. And, the cost to repair is more than the purchase of a new one.

So, as I limp along for a few more days, before backup arrives, keep this in mind. As writers, the last thing you want is to lose all your hard work. Fortunately, I only use my netbook for internet access and all my manuscripts and works in progress are kept on my desktop and flash drives. No files corrupted, no files lost, just a big headache.

Technology still confounds me; I long for the days of my manual typewriter. But, this too shall pass and I will chalk this up as one more learning experience in my quest to become more computer savvy.

No comments:

Post a Comment