Sunday, December 19, 2010

Who Is The Real Writer?

This is something that has been bothering me for quite some time, and I really need to get it off my chest. I love trolling the postings on craigslist and I have read some of the most ridiculous requests.
Students, on the college level, who are too busy, or too lazy, to write their own papers for a class are now posting for professional writers to write their classroom assignments. And, more disturbing, there are writers and companies that will do it for them.
I must be under the mistaken impression that going on to an institute of higher education means actually doing the work. Once they have that degree in hand, who is going to write their business correspondence for them? Or will they hire someone then, as well. Why do so many students still insist on taking the easy way out? Are they that under-educated they can not even research and write their own college essays and papers?
Granted, I haven’t been in an academic setting for many years, but if I were a professor and found my students were paying for someone to write their papers, they would be failed for their “theft” of an education.
If you can’t compose an essay for a college class, what are you doing in college in the first place? Let someone who wants to be there, who wants to succeed, take your place. You are only cheating yourself, but then again, that seems to be a pervasive attitude in this country.
Students are routinely shuttled through the public school system, many unable to read and write. These same students apparently are going on to college and still expect a pass. If you don’t want to do the work necessary for an education, why bother?
As a professional writer, it seems to me that any other professional who would take on this type of work is doing a disservice to their profession. If I were crafting the work for a student, then I should be the person, standing on the stage at graduation, accepting that degree - I'm the one who earned it.

2 comments:

  1. The entire point of a written language is to convey a specific meaning, but how much meaning can you get when "are" is substituted for "our" and "sall" really means "saw"?
    And if I remember correctly, the decline of a written language is usually the precursor of the decline of a civilization too.
    Read postings on Facebook, YouTube, and any major newspaper...and the end of the world in 2012 is starting to look much more probable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our civilisation really seems to be in decline, and it could be from the decline of the written language. How many young people don't know how to construct a cogent sentence due to "text speak." I have actually received rejections from publishers with incomplete sentences, poor structure, and misspelling. And, we wonder why our children can't read and write??

    ReplyDelete