Sunday, July 10, 2011

Book Release

Friday marked the release of my third book on Egyptian magic. To celebrate, I took a copy of Egyptian Prosperity Magic to my main library. They maintain a section for local authors and have my previous two books in their collection.

Holding a copy of your own book never ceases to amaze and thrill me. I hope, as an author, to never lose that feeling of accomplishment, of excitement, of wonder. I read somewhere that less than five percent of manuscripts submitted for publication are accepted. If that is the case, then I am certainly blessed to have found publishers who have seen merit in my work.

Now, I begin my journey as a novelist. I shall continue to write non-fiction -- I have several books in process -- but fiction will give me the opportunity to spread my wings and create new worlds, new people, new ways of looking at the lives of others.

So, for those of you struggling to get published, I know I sound like a broken record (that would be vinyl), but never give up your dream. It is sometimes easier to break into publishing in certain genres, but never compromise your ideals just to get published. Stay true to what you do and what you write. Trust me, I write for a small niche market and I would not trade that for anything. And, my fiction may also only appeal to a small market, but again, this is what I love -- so, write what you love. Who knows? You might be visiting your local library soon, with your own book under your arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment