Sunday, November 28, 2010

Is Writing Really a Solitary Pursuit?

When I first started writing seriously, I did it out of a sense of need. My words had to find expression, so I put pen to paper; writing for me became therapy. I actually wrote the first draft of my first book longhand, on yellow pads, because I didn't even have a computer. That was 2003!

I have now adapted more to technology, though it still vexes me quite a bit. I just bought my first MP3 player and recently learned how to upload photographs to my Facebook page. As you can tell, I'm not good at asking for help. I'm a solitary animal who loves her solitary pursuits.

But, I am a published author who must, eventually, connect with others. I have done book signings, events, and fairs, all in the effort to spark interest in my books. I am quite comfortable writing alone, and I am quite comfortable meeting people. But, a writer who writes in a vacuum is really missing out.

So, I started connecting with fellow writers on a writer's forum website. It was so gratifying to find others, just like me, struggling with ideas that don't want to cooperate, stacks of rejection letters, and pages of short stories that need a little more tweaking. I suddenly didn't feel alone.

I have made a number of new friends on the site, all with the same passion as me - writing. Maybe, the next time you sit down at your computer and find the words don't seem to flow, try logging on to a writer's forum. Share ideas with your fellow writers; it just might be the spark you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment